Women and men new to recovery often have a hard time figuring out how to have “sober fun.” So when our program manager at the halfway house received some generously donated tickets to the Fryeburg Fair (Maine’s largest agricultural fair), she saw a unique opportunity to bring our clients on an adventure that most had never experienced before.
There was apprehension, a little push back and a bit of anxiety, but in the end it turned out to be a great lesson for all.
Here are some client quotes from the day:
- “Just like the fair atmosphere I felt free and happy and could really enjoy my time being there and sober”
- “I learned that I don’t have to be intoxicated or messed up to have fun because it was amazing”
- “I wish I could bottle the awesome feeling that I had from this experience so that I could feel it all the time”
- “Feeling like a kid again, and keeping that feeling forever”
- “It brought me back to my childhood when the family would go to all the state fairs”
What are some of your favorite “sober fun” activities? Please post in the Comments section below!